You're logged in as |

Financial Information

The College — Tuition Regulations

Undergraduate students at Brown are required to accumulate eight semesters, or 32 units of enrollment credit ( in order to earn a baccalaureate degree). The eight-semester enrollment requirement is separate from and in addition to any other degree requirements.

  1. Tuition rates are set by the Corporation of the University for each semester. Normally, the tuition rates for the two semesters of a given academic year will be the same.
  2. Tuition payments for the baccalaureate degree are based on the norm of thirty-two courses, four courses in each of eight semesters. The minimum enrollment requirement is eight semesters, or the equivalent. The minimum tuition requirement for the program leading to the combined degrees of A.B.–Sc.B. is ten semesters of tuition credit. (Note: The Brown Corporation has enacted a provision allowing students in the five-year A.B.–Sc.B. program who complete all academic requirements in nine semesters to terminate their studies at that point, provided the Committee on Academic Standing (CAS) approves the breadth and quality of the student’s program. In that case, the tuition requirement is reduced to nine semesters.)
  3. Payment of full-time tuition for a semester entitles the student to enroll in three, four, or five courses for that semester. For full-time degree candidates, tuition charges are set for the semester, not per course.
  4. Enrollment Credit for Transfer Credits
    1. Students who are granted credit for Advanced Placement scores and/or transfer credit for courses completed at another college or university prior to enrollment at Brown may apply for up to four semesters of enrollment credit according to the following schedule:
      Brown Semester Course Credits Advanced Standing and Enrollment Credit
      3-6 1 semester
      7-10 2 semesters
      11-14 3 semesters
      15 or more 4 semesters
    2. Students who are granted Brown course credits by the Committee on Academic Standing for equivalent work completed at and transferred from another college or university after enrollment at Brown may apply for and may be granted advanced standing and enrollment credit according to the same schedule as in 4(a) above. All transfer credits earned after enrollment at Brown are cumulative. Advanced standing and enrollment credit for this cumulative total of transfer credits will be awarded only in semester-equivalent blocks. In exceptional cases the Committee on Academic Standing may allow a student to transfer the equivalent of one or two Brown semester course credits for work completed during the regular academic year. Tuition credit will be granted for each such course at the rate of one quarter of a full-semester credit subject to the following conditions:
      1. Such courses completed while the student is not currently enrolled at Brown will become part of the cumulative total of any subsequent transfer credit earned by the student and the Table in (a) above will apply.
      2. If the courses are completed as part of a dual registration arrangement (e.g., a student who is permitted to carry a less-than-normal load of courses at Brown and to pay an appropriate reduced amount of tuition in order to pursue concurrently certain specialized courses at another institution), enrollment credit for such courses will be independent of any other cumulative total of transfer credits earned by the student.
      3. Once advanced standing has been granted, a student wishing to extend his or her total period of enrollment beyond eight full-time semesters, or the equivalent, must make a special petition to the Committee on Academic Standing. If approval is granted, tuition for each course (for the extended period) will be charged at the rate of one quarter of the full-time semester rate.
      4. Transfer credit for summer school courses is allowed in accordance with provisions established by the Faculty Rules and the Committee on Academic Standing. When such credit is awarded, no enrollment credit is associated with the transfer credit granted. The academic credit awarded may not be combined in any cumulative total of transfer credits for the purpose of determining advanced standing or enrollment credit.
  5. Undergraduate degree candidates who successfully complete four Brown Summer Session courses may apply for a waiver of one semester’s enrollment. See regulations for Brown Summer Session below.
  6. An eighth-semester student who owes less than a full-semester tuition credit at the beginning of the eighth semester will be charged the fraction of the full-time tuition charge for that semester which will complete the eight-semester obligation and may take an equivalent number of courses. Additional courses will be charged at the rate of one quarter of the semester’s full tuition charge.
  7. Regular degree candidate students who must or choose to take courses in semesters beyond the eighth semester in order to complete requirements for the baccalaureate degree will be charged tuition at the rate of one quarter of the semester’s full tuition charge for each course enrollment.
  8. Degree candidate students who are given permission by the dean to register for a reduced workload (one or two courses) will be charged one quarter of the semester’s full- tuition charge for each course enrollment.
  9. Students in the eight-year program leading to a baccalaureate degree and the M.D. degree (Program in Liberal Medical Education) shall make four annual tuition payments at the rate fixed for the College (for years one through four) and four annual tuition payments at the rate fixed for the Medical School (for years five through eight).
  10. Students in the Concurrent Bachelor's -Master's program are required to fulfill the minimum eight semester, 32 enrollment unit requirement, but can extend study up to nine semesters, 36 enrollment units.
  11. The minimum enrollment requirement for the integrated five-year baccalaureate–master ’s degree program is eight semesters, 32 enrollment units while an undergraduate, and a minimum of six enrollment units while in the fifth year in the graduate school.
  12. The above regulations cover students who are candidates for a baccalaureate degree. For special students who are not candidates for a degree, a tuition charge of one quarter of the semester tuition rate will be made for each course/credit registered. (Exception - RISD cross-registration students during the fall and spring semesters). 

Enrollment Credit Regulations Relating to Brown Summer Session Courses

For undergraduates, Brown Summer Session courses carry a course fee charge; they do not carry enrollment credit. Brown Summer Session courses may not be offered in fulfillment of enrollment requirements on a course-by-course basis for undergraduates. Graduate students, however, do receive enrollment credit for summer courses when they pay the full tuition charge.

A special provision of the enrollment regulations enables undergraduates to offer Brown Summer Session courses, in partial fulfillment of the enrollment requirement, under certain specified conditions: undergraduates who have otherwise fulfilled the graduation requirements at Brown and have been enrolled in seven semesters of full-time study or an acceptable equivalent, plus have taken and passed four Brown Summer Session courses, will be granted, on request, a waiver of the final semester of their enrollment requirement.

The enrollment requirements dictate that courses taken prior to matriculation may not be combined with courses taken after matriculation in order to achieve advanced standing and enrollment credit; hence, Summer Session courses cannot be so combined. In a similar manner, summer courses taken elsewhere and transferred after matriculation may not be combined with Brown Summer Session courses to achieve advanced standing. The maximum number of summer courses from all sources for which a student may receive credit is four, with no more than two in the same summer.

Estimated Date of Completion (EDOC)

One goal of the enrollment requirement is to enable the University to manage enrollment in the College more effectively. It is essential that this be done to the maximum extent possible. Accordingly, all currently enrolled students are assigned an expected date of completion (EDOC). This information is sent annually to all students with instructions to confirm the assignments or to work out any necessary adjustment with the Registrar. Any extension of enrollment beyond the student’s official EDOC will have to be applied for by December 1 for the spring semester and June 1 for the fall semester.

The College — Student Charges

The University reserves the right to change the rates that apply to all students whenever it is deemed advisable. Published notice of any change will normally be provided in advance. 

Charges for 2024-2025 are as follows below.  Additional detail can be found on the Student Financial Services Tuition and Fees website.

Tuition: The annual tuition charge for the year is $68,612 or eight tuition units. The tuition charge for part-time and special students is $8,576.50 or one tuition unit, per course.

Room: The dormitory charge for the academic year in the undergraduate residence halls is $9,940 for regular accommodations and for dormitory apartments/suites.

Housing Cancellation Fee: The Housing Cancellation Fee is charged to seniors who select on campus housing for the upcoming fall term and later choose to cancel their on campus housing after the published cancellation deadline. The Housing Cancellation Fee is not applicable to seniors who will study abroad/away on Brown-approved programs or who will be on leave in the fall.

Meals / Board: An annual charge of $7,504 applies to the twenty meal contract. Other meal plan pricing is determined by Dining Services and will be reflected on the Student Financial Services Tuition and Fees website.  Consistent with Brown’s commitment to the residential college, all resident undergraduates (except RUE students) are required to participate in a meal plan throughout their first full year of enrollment.  Refer to for details regarding meal plan terms and conditions, including fees for meal plan cancellations or changes. Because services offered are often modified to reflect changes in student life, a current brochure is available from the food services office.

Academic Records Fee: An Academic Records Fee of $100 will be charged to all first-time attendees in degree programs with a program start date on or after July 1, 2018.  This includes students in undergraduate, graduate, medical, executive master degree, and stand alone certificate programs. Non-degree students who are charged tuition will be charged a $10 fee per semester of enrollment.  The Academic Records Fee will cover transcripts for life (students will have to pay the FedEx fee) and electronic diplomas (for students who completed degrees on or after May 2015).  The Academic Records Fee does not cover replacement diplomas.

Student Resources Fee: The Student Resources Fee of $1,044 is assessed to all undergraduate students. The fee is used to fund offices, centers and programs that provide direct support and services to students.

Health Services Fee: A $1,166 annual fee is charged to all degree candidates, both full and part time. This fee is designed to cover costs of providing care at Health Services from late August through Commencement. This fee does not include Health Insurance coverage.

Student Health Insurance: Mandatory participation is required in the university group health and accident insurance program for students unless a waiver of participation is granted upon submission of proof of comparable coverage.  Health insurance coverage rates for the 2024-2025  academic year are TBD.  Once rates are determined, they will be added to the Student Financial Services Tuition and Fee website.  Students are encouraged to review the information regarding deadlines and eligibility to waive SHIP and contact with questions. 

Student Activity Fee: A $400 Activity Fee is charged to all undergraduates, the full balance of which is allocated by the student-run Undergraduate Finance Board to support the activities of categorized student organizations and the three branches of the Student Government Association.

Recreation Fee: A $90 recreation fee is charged to all Brown students to provide access to the University's recreational athletics facilities.

Late Course Add Fee:  There is an additional charge of $15 per course for all registrations after the second week of classes.

Transcripts: Information about ordering transcripts and the associated fees can be found at:

The College — Payment of Charges

The University utilizes an electronic billing system (E-Bill). Payment of tuition and fees are due by August 1 for Semester I obligations and by January 1 for Semester II obligations. Charges applied to the student account during the semester will be due upon receipt.

Students who fail to make payment in full by the prescribed deadlines are assessed a late payment charge of 1.5% per month (an annual rate of 18%) on any unpaid balance. Outstanding balances greater than $500 will prevent a student from receiving a diploma from the University. Outstanding balances greater than $1,000 will prevent a student from pre-registering for any subsequent semester, charging Bookstore purchases to the student account, or receiving a diploma. Students who fail to meet their financial obligation in accordance with established University regulations will have the status of their account reported to the University Student Account Committee for appropriate action, which may include cancellation of eligibility for enrollment and/or dismissal.  The University reserves the right to refuse to furnish grades, certificates, diplomas, letters of honorable dismissal or recommendations, for students who fail to pay their student account balances.  When required, the University utilizes the service of a commercial collection agency to assist in the collection of unpaid student accounts.

For students using Ch. 33 or Ch. 31 Veterans benefits, our tuition policy complies with 38 USC 3679(e) which means those students will not be charged or otherwise penalized due to a delay in VA tuition and fee payments. Students who wish to use VA education benefits should submit their Certificate of Eligibility to the School Certifying Official in order to be certified with the VA. 

A monthly installment payment plan is available through Student Financial Services.. Additional information is available at 

Payment may be made online via U.S. personal checking/savings accounts at

Checks in payment of student accounts should be made payable to Brown University in U.S. dollars and mailed to the Cashier's Office, Campus Box 1911, Providence, RI 02912. Instructions for sending payment via wire transfer are available by contacting the Cashier's Office at 401-863-2151.

The College —Refund of Annual Charges

  1. Tuition
    1. A student who leaves the University during or at the end of the first semester shall not be charged tuition for the second semester.
    2. A student who leaves the University (except under conditions noted in (c) below) or changes his/her enrollment status during a semester shall be eligible for tuition payment refund during the first five weeks according to the following schedule:
        Week of Withdrawal Percentage Amount of Refund
        1 and 2 80 percent
        3 60 percent
        4 40 percent
        5 20 percent
      2. If a partial refund is made, no portion of the tuition paid and not refunded will be credited to the total tuition required for the degree. When no refund is made, the four tuition units paid will be credited toward the total tuition requirement for the degree, and the number of semesters to which a student is entitled for full-time enrollment will be reduced by one.
    3. A student who is suspended, dismissed, or withdraws when under investigation for misconduct shall not have tuition refunded for the semester in which the action is taken.
  2. Room
    While residence hall rooms are rented on an academic year basis, students who leave the University or change their status to married students during or at the end of the first semester are not charged room rental for the second semester. Students who leave the residence halls during the semester are charged room rental for the balance of that semester unless the residential life office can provide a satisfactory replacement for the vacant space. A satisfactory replacement is deemed to be a student who is not currently living on campus or a student who is living in a “roomsharing” room if the total occupancy of the residence halls is in excess of normal capacity.
    Prorated room refunds when applicable will be made from a schedule prepared by the Director of Residential Life and will be on file in the Office of Residential Life. A student suspended or dismissed from the University or withdrawing when under investigation for misconduct is not entitled to any refund of room rental charges for the balance of the current semester. Students seeking any further information regarding room charges and/or refunds should contact the Office of Residential Life.
  3. Board
    Brown Dining Services offers flexible meal plans and varied menu and service offerings. Consistent with Brown’s commitment to the residential college, all resident undergraduates (except RUE students) are required to participate in a meal plan throughout their first full year of enrollment. One change is permitted per semester. Meal plan contracts are in effect for the full academic year. Therefore, contracts may be changed but not canceled during the spring semester. Refer to for details regarding meal plan terms and conditions, including fees for meal plan cancellations or changes.
  1. Health Services Fee
    A student who leaves the University at any time after the start of the semester is not eligible for a health services fee refund.
    A student who leaves the University during or at the end of the first semester shall not be charged a health services fee for the second semester.
  2. Health Insurance Fee
    Enrollment in the student health insurance plan is for a twelve-month period (August 15th to August 14th). Students who start their enrollment at Brown in the second semester are enrolled from January 15th to August 14th.
    Prorated refunds are available only to students who separate from the University. Students who wish to request a prorated refund must notify in writing within 30 days of their separation date. Details are available from Health Services.

Student account records are maintained by Student Financial Services. Questions concerning the exact amount of debit or credit balance on a student account should be directed to Student Financial Services at

Additional information regarding student charges and payment options, please visit

The College — Financial Aid

The Office of Financial Aid is committed to partnering with students and families to explore options to finance the cost of an education at Brown. We assist undergraduate and graduate students, in understanding all aspects of the financial aid application processes for federal, state and institutional need-based grants and loans. Our office also provides information about student employment opportunities both on and off-campus.

At Brown, financial aid is one of our highest priorities. Brown is committed to meeting a family's full demonstrated financial need with a combination of federal and institutional need-based grants, student employment, and loans. Our financial aid program includes initiatives that in some cases offer awards with no expected parent contribution, and/or no loans.

Visit the Office of Financial Aid at for more information.   

The College — Financing Alternatives

Student Financial Services is the centralized department for all loan programs. This office administers student loans for undergraduate, graduate and medical students. The University participates in the Federal Direct Loan program for Subsidized and Unsubsidized Direct Loans and Plus Loans In addition, the University offers various institutional loan programs. 

For more information contact or visit

The Graduate School — Tuition Regulations, Student Charges, etc.

For information regarding Graduate School tuition and fees, visit

For information regarding Graduate School tuition regulations,  financing, and support, please visit

Warren Alpert Medical School — Tuition and Financial Aid, Student Charges, etc.


The tuition for the first four years of the Program in Liberal Medical Education is the same as that of the College listed above. Tuition for the last four years of the PLME is somewhat higher than the College tuition, but consistent with other private medical schools. Tuition is determined each year by vote of the Brown Corporation.

For the current information regarding tuition regulations, student charges, payment of charges and financial aid, refunds, and financial support for the Warren Alpert Medical School, please visit the website at: